Monday, September 21, 2009

First Time Flooding

All photos have been taken from my Facebook friends. Thank you for your help.

When I was little, I loved splashing in the puddles of my front yard. I liked to squish the mud in between my toes and skip down the curb-river. When it rained, nature created a temporary playground for my friends and I.

I never thought in a million years that my neighborhood was in danger of a flood. It just didn't rain enough. My house was on a slight hill so I never gave it a second thought. Atlanta just didn't seem like the type of area that could flood. Endless talk of droughts never allowed for such ideas.

Now 285 is flooded and closed. People are trudging through torrent water and staring in awe as the places they know by heart have been transformed into unrecognizable danger areas.

The soccer fields where I used to traverse every season are now a lake of dirty water. The field I played on for the very first time is underwater.

It's strange how things can go from harmless to horrific. In the past, I shrugged when "flash flood watch" scrolled across the bottom of the TV screen. Now as I watch the weather channel, the red bar and alarming beeping add a sort of reality to the situation. This flood is really happening, and people are really in trouble. Houses are being flooded. Hot water heaters are breaking. Commutes are hours longer. Internet and power are out. Mudslides are damaging property and harming families. Roads are being washed out in neighborhoods.


I am astonished at just how much rain has fallen in the past two weeks. Not one day has had any sun. It seems a cloud of gloom moved in and keeps pouring on us. Why so much rain? Why is there no break? You'd think North Georgia has had enough but you'd think wrong. There is more rain on its way from southern Alabama.

Schools are closing around Metro Atlanta freeing up the kids for (possibly) the week. Families must brave the waters alone. Many Facebook statuses were complaints about the rain and then turned into unbelief as rivers started flooding over.

"Jenny is gonna go buy a raft!"
"Nickole been stuck in traffic for FOUR HOURS trying to get home from work."
"
Kasey-- No water, no power, no exit. Seriously rain, please stop!

"Melissa is worried about her family... please stop raining :("
Even a Kanye joke --
"Andrew-- Atlanta, I'm proud of you and I'mma let you finish, but New Orleans had the best flood of all TIME!"

Most people are trying to find the fun in the change of scenery. A day or so off of school seems worth it to some. I kind of even wish it would flood here for that reason, just so long as no one gets hurt. My friends back home are celebrating the "flood day" by taking pictures and enjoying their cozy and dry homes.

I hope the rain stops soon and the sun shines for days. God promised He wouldn't use a flood to kill us off again, so I guess we're safe for now. I just can't wait to soak up that forgotten sun.



My beloved Chestnut Hill. Impassible.
What a flood.

No comments:

Post a Comment